Salsa Fresca

On any given day you should be able to open my refrigerator and find some form of salsa. It is a household staple for us, even though no one in my home shares any Mexican or Spanish ancestry. Salsa is the Spanish word for “sauce,” so it encompasses a wide range of different types of sauces, which even include mole and guacamole, though we typically think of the jarred salsa we purchase at the market, which is called “salsa cruda,” or the fresh and chunky salsa fresca, also known as “Pico de Gallo.” (1) Salsa fresca is a healthy snack, with very few calories. It is fat free, high in antioxidants, vegan and contains no added sugars. The unhealthy aspect of snacking on salsa comes from the chips that accompany it!

Salsa as we know it originated with the Aztecs probably some time in the 1500s. People would mix together fresh foods found in their region which included; tomatoes, tomatillos (which is a tart, green member of the nightshade family), chipotles, and even avocado with a mortar and pestle. (1) These sauces were used as a condiment to eat with many foods; however, today Americans mostly use salsa as a dip for tortilla chips. Synonymous with Mexican culture, by the 1980s salsa had become a common condiment in American households. It has been manufactured by companies that we are familiar with today: Pace, Chi-Chi’s, Newman’s Own, Ortega, Old El Paso, etc.  It can be seen in its very own section of the grocery store, no longer just in ethnic food aisles. (2)

Though we now have access to many types of salsa: those which include roasted corn and are labeled as “Tex Mex” style, those which have habanero peppers and pineapples mixed into them, even salsa verde – a green colored salsa made with chiles and tomatillos – I remain a purest. I like the fresh taste and crunchy texture of salsa fresca. (3) And, though convenience makes it very easy to run to the store and pick up a premade container of salsa, I like making my own. There is a great sense of satisfaction that I get from it, especially because I grow a number of the ingredients in my own garden, including homegrown tomatoes, cilantro and jalepenos. Unfortunately, at this time, only the cilantro is in bloom, so I had to make due with fresh ingredients from the market for this blog assignment.

I try to use organic vegetables as much as possible in my home, so I start by finding some delicious, ripe, red organic tomatoes. There is a considerable difference in taste between homegrown tomatoes and large, hydroponically grown tomatoes that we see in abundance in the produce section. I chop the tomato into small pieces, making sure to remove most of the seeds, and I also add chopped red onions, fresh cilantro – the more cilantro the better – fresh squeezed lime juice, sea salt, minced garlic, and if I crave a little heat, some jalapeno peppers. (Note: when cutting jalapeno peppers, it is wise to wear gloves and wash your hands immediately after cutting. The heat from the peppers stays on your fingers for quite some time, and I have made the mistake of forgetting this and touching my eyes much later, even after washing my hands, and feeling the burn!)

Once all of the ingredients have been chopped into small pieces (pico), mix them together in a bowl and stir. You can put it in a container and refrigerate, and I actually find that the salsa tastes much better once it has had a day or two to release its flavors. Lastly, find some crunchy tortilla chips, or if you are feeling particularly motivated you can make your own. Dip into the salsa fresca and ENJOY!



Fresh cilantro. If you let the plant "go to seed" and flower, it produces coriander seeds which can also be used for cooking.
                                                        
Tomatoes and jalapenos weren't quite ready yet!

What we know as "salsa." Notice the salsa cruda on the left, and its much more liquid consistency, as opposed to the salsa fresca on the right, which has a much heartier texture.

1 comment:

  1. Amber I need to go and make salsa now. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete