Grits

     Grits are a dish I have eaten for as long as I can remember. Typically eaten as a breakfast food, the dish is most commonly associated with the southern United States. Grits are essentially all carbohydrates, with small amounts of fiber and protein. Grits are made by grinding corn or hominy into fine grits, and originated with Native American populations. Originally, the grinding was done using a stone mill, and the ground corn was sifted into the larger grits and the smaller grit meal. Up until the mid twentieth century, most grits in the United States were ground in gristmills. The miller would grind corn that families brought, and keep some of it as a fee. While grits are available all over the United States currently, seventy five percent are sold in the southern states from Virginia to Texas, which is often called the "grits belt."
     There are many ways to prepare grits, but all begin with boiling water and the grits themselves. Whole kernel grits, also known as "speckled," take about twenty minutes to boil, so that the water is mostly evaporated or absorbed. More processed grits, called "quick" grits, have the germ and hull already removed, and only take five to ten minutes to boil. These are the more commonly used form. While boiling, grits must be stirred to prevent lumps from forming. "Quick" grits can also be microwaved with water in order to further expedite the process. After boiling, various ingredients may be added to flavor and enhance the grits. The most simple preparation is just the addition of butter, and/or salt and pepper. Other common additions include shredded or powdered cheese, sausage, ham, or gravy. Seafood is also added to grits, with the most popular variations being catfish or shrimp. Shrimp and grits is even seen as a delicacy in coastal Georgia and South Carolina. Charleston-style grits, another common dish, is made with milk instead of water, and results in a creamier product.
     For me, grits produce a strong feeling of nostalgia, especially relating to my family and childhood. My family lived in Alabama for the first two years of my life, and the time spent there definitely influenced my mother's cooking and our tastes. For much of my childhood, I remember eating grits for breakfast often and not thinking it was anything special. I commonly relate eating grits with comfortable, warm memories of sharing a meal with my mother. Since I am youngest of five girls, my mom had to share her time with all of us, but I can distinctly remember eating a bowl of grits with only my mom on multiple occasions. When I talked to my mom about grits, the first thing she said came to her mind was the south, a common reaction. She told me that the first time she tried grits was in a Cracker Barrel restaurant in the south, but she liked them better when she made them herself. She recently made them from corn on the cob for the first time, grinding the corn herself. She said the only differences were the texture being a little softer and smoother, and the taste being sweeter than processed grits. Her favorite way to eat them is with butter, cheese, salt, and pepper, with bacon on the side--the same as me. We both agreed that our shared love of grits served as a conduit for more individual bonding.

Sources:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1633/2
http://www.cookcfb.org/articles/entryid/60/history-of-grits

1 comment:

  1. Kelly - so nice to put a face to a name last night. I dared to try the grits - having had some mmmmm mmmmm but mostly not my thing. They were nice! I had no idea what they were made from. I have to think of them as a dinner thing - just doesn't work for breakfast for me.... shrimp and grits.... maybe I will have to experiment.

    ReplyDelete