Fish and Chips

Fish and Chips have been important to me since I was very young.  I was born in Italy to an Italian father and American mother. We moved to London when I was fairly young though (about six), and we lived there until I was about eleven years old.  In a way, Fish-n-Chips represented a major change in my life and, honestly, it was my first real introduction to the beauty/ugly of fried foods.  I remember that my first Fish-n-Chips was from a little stand that was set up in Covent Gardens and served on the previous day’s newspaper.  I have yet to experience a Fish-n-Chips quite like that first one.  It was the first time I’d eaten anything that both crunched and melted in my mouth.  I went almost every day.  That same stand later evolved into small restaurant where I held my first job cleaning out the larder and the frying equipment (I’m fairly certain illegally considering my age at the time but we kept it pretty hush-hush).
It’s the simplicity that makes this food so special though.  Fish-n-Chips is, if the name doesn’t give it away, fried cod and french fries.  My former employer used sunflower oil to fry his Fish-n-Chip, but most commonly they are just fried up in beef drippings or just plain vegetable oil.  On an ideal serving the crust of the fish is flaky and crisp and the inside is moist and flakey, while the chips are fat and starchy but with a nice crunch, almost like steak fries but much much better.  The cod is simply dipped in milk then breaded, occasionally beer batter and then fried in large batches.  It’s a very simple dish to make.
  Fish-n-Chips, despite it’s beautiful flavor, unfortunately does not have any real nutritional value.  One serving generally has around 1000 calories and doesn’t lend a lot of nutrition beyond basic nourishment and a lot of joy. (Federation of Fish Friers)
The best Fish-n-Chips still tend to be found on the streets fried up by portly englishmen and wrapped up in newspapers. Fish-n-Chips is the national food of Britain and they can still be found at almost every pub.  Fish-n-Chips evolved almost naturally and there is even dispute amongst who opened the very first shop that sold that renowned dish.  Was it Lees? Or was it Malin?  Generally Joseph Malin does get the credit for the creation. (Historic UK))  But the answer will probably depend on who you ask.  (BBC)
The dish, while not incredibly popular outside of England (and through colonization Australia, has spread across the world and can even be found now in most American diners.  

Fish-n-Chips represents  the working class of England.  It was tasty dish that, in any situation could be eaten quickly.  It is a form of fast food that was distinctly British and that was easily affordable to everyone at every single level of income.

Sources:

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/nutritional-info-605.htm

http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20130409-chipping-away-at-the-history-of-fish-and-chips

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Fish-Chips/

1 comment:

  1. Love this Alex... this is the first thing my Glasweigan husband has when we go home. And in Scotland F&C is always haddock in batter. In England it's cod. Yorkshire (White Rose country) and Lancashire (Red Rose Country) are fiercely competitive. And of course they're not French fries but "chips" - a world of difference fat chips to skinny fries.

    ReplyDelete